|Warning! This article has yet to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality, per our Cleanup Project. It may contain factual errors and nonsense, as well as spelling, grammar and structure issues, or simply structure problems. Reader's discretion is advised until fixing is done.|
You can help clean up this page by correcting spelling and grammar, removing factual errors and rewriting sections to ensure they are clear and concise, and moving some elements when appropriate.
|This article is about a mod.
The subject matter of this article was conceived by third-party developers and is therefore deemed both non-canon and non-official. It cannot be used as a relevant source in articles on official subjects.
Sven Co-op Team
January 19, 1999
Sven Co-op, often abbreviated to as SC, is a multiplayer modification for Half-Life. It is still under active development and is currently at version 4.7. It is one of the oldest Half-Life mods to be still in development.
This mod is a cooperative game, where players must work together against AI-controlled enemies and solve puzzles as a team. The majority of the maps are user-created with the exception of the original maps created by the Sven Co-op developers. Some of the most popular maps are 'Crystal', 'The Escape Series' and 'Osprey'.
- Donators have secondary fire that makes crowbar more powerful against hostiles, but drains suit power.
- Pipe Wrench (with ability to repair or revive friendly Sentry Guns)
- Barnacle Grapple
- Glock 17
- Colt Python (multiplayer version)
- Desert Eagle
- HECU SPAS-12 (secondary fire makes the shotgun shoot automatically, but with less accuracy)
- Black Mesa Crossbow (multiplayer version)
- HECU RPG
- Tau Cannon (with less secondary fire recoil)
- Gluon Gun
- Mk 2 Grenade (secondary fire drops all grenades in one projectile, making "banana bomb")
- Satchel Charge (can be picked up or kicked)
- HECU Laser Tripmine
- For donators, secondary fire releases a chumtoad that hinders enemy ranged attacks and also poisons NPCs. This only works if the player has at least 10 snarks.
- M40A1 Sniper Rifle (increased damage, decreased accuracy without scope)
- M249 Squad Automatic Weapon
- Shock Rifle (Will explode when you have 34 or less ammo. Alt-fire releases a gigantic bolt of electricity that will hit multible enemies, but uses up ammo quicker)
- Medkit - Allows you to heal other players by 10 points and revive non-gibbed ones for 50. Although a player can only carry a max of 100, the points regenerate over time.
- 9mm Uzi - 32 round submachine gun. Can be held in akimbo (duel-wield) for more power but a longer reload time. Donators can use Golden Uzis, which do considerably more damage.
- MP5 - Fires in Full Automatic, secondary fire zooms in.
- 5.56mm M16 w/ M203 grenade launcher - Fires in a 3 round burst. Grenades now have to be individually prepared before firing.
- 5.56mm Minigun - Unlike other weapons, must be picked up off the ground using E, and must be dropped before using another weapon. Fires in full-auto, with a long revving up time. Uses a single 600 round clip, additional ammo is added to the clip through SCXPM Ammo regeneration, picking up other miniguns, etc.
Sven Co-op (as its name suggests) is a game that relies on cooperative effort. Examples of this are: a player crouching so the other player can use them as a boost to go into a vent to open a locked door from the other side so they can both continue, making the players work as a team to defeat a enemy or "bosses" (usually used as term to refer to a final enemy/enemies that are tougher or the toughest of the normal enemies), healing teammates to prevent their deaths and even reviving a teammate when they have fallen in battle. The actual battles are full of action, and the hostiles range from Hazardous Environment Combat Unit to Xen and Race X creatures.
Although some maps are included with sven co-op, a majority are made by the community. Maps come in quite literally, all shapes and sizes. Some maps are very long or in a series (e.g. The escape series where the players are "used as lab rats", and decide to escape) or very short (e.g. sc_subway train where you and the team of players gets to the osprey helicopter). The gameplay ranges from standard walkthrough maps, where you fight your way from point A to point B for little or no reason, to maps where several players fool around in an amusement park-like area. there are also tower defense maps, where players must survive an onslaught of enemies, and even "Maze" maps where players must navigate through huge, complicated mazes in first person.
Sven Co-op 2, using the Source engine, is in development. The developers have stated they will not continue it until they complete the Half-life version. A supposed (but unconfirmed) statement from the developers states they will continue work on Half-Life for the foreseeable future. This remains unconfirmed however.